Pumpables is happy to announce that our first breast pump, the Pumpables Milk Genie, is now released and available for purchase. The Pumpables Milk Genie is a great little portable electric breast pump, with lots of features and we can’t see any good reason why it shouldn’t become the most popular portable breast pump on the market pronto! We’ll tell you all about it below.
Quick rundown on the Milk Genie’s features
- For those in a hurry, the Milk Genie in bullet points:
- Small, electric breast pump weighing 200g
- Very quiet – no need to agonise with a noisy breast pump, the Milk Genie isn’t totally silent, but it is very quiet!
- Inbuilt rechargeable battery – takes about 2.5 hours to fully recharge and you can use it while it’s charging. Has an inbuilt lithium battery so does not need to be plugged in to operate.
- Comes with everything you need to double pump – comes with 2 sets of breastshields, bottles, tubing, valves etc. Pumping from both breasts at once saves loads of time and is better for supporting milk supply.
- Intelligent memory – once you’ve worked out the settings that work best for you, save them to memory at the touch of a button.
- Comes with 3 sets of flanges (the part that goes over your breast) in different sizes – so you don’t have to worry about receiving the wrong size and being in pain.
- ‘Closed system’ – there’s a protector that stops milk from getting down the tubing into the breast pump, which is essential for hygiene + keeping your breast pump in good order.
- Two year warranty and absolutely 100% devoted customer service from a team of mums who get it.
Want more detailed information? Read on.
What makes the Milk Genie special?
There are a few things that make the Pumpables Milk Genie stand out from other portable pumps on the market. We covered these in brief above, but we’ll expand on them a little here. You’ll notice that other portable breast pumps that you may look at don’t have the same features as the Milk Genie.
If you’ve used a breast pump before then this may be a pain point you’re aware of. If you’re not familiar with how noisy a breast pump can be, please go to Youtube and have a search of ‘breastpump noise’ so you can be prepared! Although some motor noise is unavoidable, given that you have a pretty strong little vacuum motor turning on and off in a breast pump, it really is important to
consider how noisy your breast pump is or you won’t feel comfortable pumping in your workplace or near your baby. The Milk Genie is really as quiet as we can get it, and we think it’s quiet enough that it won’t bother you as you go about your life while pumping.
Inbuilt rechargeable battery
Just like your mobile phone, the Pumpables Milk Genie has an integrated lithium battery so powering your pump is as simple as plugging it into the wall to recharge the battery. You will get about 2.5 hours of pumping in every charge, although this will depend on how you pump (double pumping on high vacuum settings will discharge the battery faster). The pump will also tend to have less power when the battery is close to being drained. For a mum who is using a pump 2 x a day for 20 minutes, you would probably just plug the pump in at night to recharge and then have it fully charged for when you’re using it during the day. If the battery does go at and you need to pump, you can use the pump just fine while you’re recharging.
Comes with everything you need to double pump & can be used as either a
single or double
When you’re buying a breast pump, make sure you buy one that you can use as a double pump (i.e. you can pump from both breasts at once). Only buy a single pump if you’re going to pump very good pumping bra so you can go hands-free (or make your own out of a sports top).
We’ve developed a lovely new line of accessories to use with the Milk Genie that we’re calling the Pumpables Pro range. The breastshield is a two piece design, which means there’s a little more room for your nipple lengthways, and it’s easier to pop in and out of a pumping bra. Unlike other two piece breastshields on the market, the Pumpables Pro shield has an integrated backflow protector, which means that milk cannot flow down the tubing, which is important for hygiene. The bottles have embossed measurements, which means they will not rub off over time. All parts are of course BPA-free and are safe on the top shelf of your dishwasher, except for the valve which like all breast pump valves is best hand-washed.
What comes with the Milk Genie?
Here’s a complete rundown of everything that comes with the Milk Genie:
- Pumpables Milk Genie main pump motor
- Complete double kit, including:
- Tubing x 2 (connects pump motor to breastshield)
- Two-piece breastshield x 2 in three separate sizes (21mm, 24mm, 27mm)
- Valves x 2
- Bottle set x 2 (wideneck bottle, disc & cap)
- Slow flow teats x 2
- Power adaptor
This will give you absolutely everything you need to get up and running with your breast pump, whether you’re single or double pumping.
Why are there three different size breastshields included with the Milk Genie?
The breastshield is the piece that sits over your breast. The breastshield narrows where your nipple is, and the nipple is drawn into this narrow part, called the flange, when you’re pumping. If the flange is the wrong size – either too narrow or too wide – then you’re going to find pumping painful and it may figure out which is best for you. You may find that the size that works best for you changes over time,
too. We think this is going to be very helpful for pumping mums. It’s incredibly important to use the right breastshield size and at the end of the day, no matter how good your breast pump is, if it hurts you it’s not going to work for you.
Where is the Milk Genie made?
The Pumpables Milk Genie is manufactured in Korea by a manufacturing partner with years of experience in making infant health equipment such as ultrasound devices and incubators. The Pumpables team has worked closely with engineers to design the Milk Genie and ensure it has all the features needed in a great portable pump, as well as being absolutely top quality.
How is the Milk Genie different from other pumps on the market?
- Features & quality at this price
- Quiet motor
- Comes with three shields
- Closed system to ensure hygiene
Our intention was to develop a portable pump that would put us ahead of the pack and we think we’ve done it.
Who is the Milk Genie suitable for?
When you’re trying to work out which breast pump you should choose, the most important thing to consider is how you’re going to use it. If you’re going to be heavily relying on the breast pump for the bulk of your baby’s milk supply, then we really recommend getting a hospital grade breast pump. The downside of a hospital grade pump is that it’s bigger and not as portable – it’s more of a ‘desktop’ device that you won’t enjoy carting around and may require being plugged into power.
If you’re a mum who will be pumping occasionally, from a couple times a week to a couple of times a day, and you’ll be breastfeeding your baby directly most of the time then you’ll probably prefer to use a portable breast pump that’s going to be more convenient and will still do the job you need it to do. If this is you, then we think you’ll find the Pumpables Milk Genie your very best option.
Who should NOT use the Milk Genie?
Unfortunately, the results each woman gets with a breast pump is quite an individual thing and it’s difficult to make some blanket rules. However, we would suggest the following people exercise caution:
- Mums who’ve been using a hospital grade pump like the Spectra S2 – your breasts will be used to a high powered pump with highly variable settings. Going ‘down’ to a portable pump is risky – some women will have no issue but some women will find that they just do not get the same results. Going from a hospital grade pump to a portable pump is always a bit of a ‘proceed with caution’ situation and you should be aware that you may struggle.
- Anyone who is exclusively pumping or is relying on the breast pump to boost or maintain milk supply – if this is you, it’s really critical that you have the most effective breast pump possible and should notice improved results, but do give yourself a week to make the switch.
Is the Milk Genie compatible with other brands?
If you already have a Medela breast pump then you can use your Medela accessories but you must add in a backflow protector to ensure that your Milk Genie motor stays protected – most Medela systems are ‘open’ meaning that milk can flow down tubing. If you’ve been using a Spectra breast pump then you can use the kit with your Milk Genie, but not all pieces will be interchangeable. Valves,
tubing and backflow protector will be interchangeable. It’s difficult to list all the possible compatibility options, so please get in touch with us if you have a specific question about this.
The Pumpables bottles that come with the Milk Genie are wide neck. The Pumpables Pro breastshield won’t fit Medela narrow neck bottles but will fit Spectra or Avent wide neck bottles. If you have Medela narrow neck bottles then you can use them but will need to purchase an extra narrow to wide neck adaptor.
Keep in mind though that everything you need to double pump does come with the Milk Genie, so this information is just provided in case you have bits and pieces at home already that you’d like to keep using.
Who are Pumpables?
The Pumpables team are made up of mums who’ve been in the breast pump industry in various roles for several years. We’ve spoken to thousands of pumping mums, we’ve racked up lots of ‘pump hours’ ourselves and we’re on a mission to bring you the very best breast pump and accessories.
We hope we’ve covered everything you’ve been wondering about the Pumpables Milk Genie. If we missed anything or if you have a question, just get in touch by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or just hit the ‘chat on messenger’ button up top to go straight to Facebook for a chat. We’re very happy to help :).